Post Operative Instructions After Your First Visit
Thank you for visiting us today. We hope your experience was pleasant and exceeded all expectations! Endodontic care (root canal therapy) has been started on your tooth today and requires additional visit(s) to be completed.
The temporary filling we placed will not permanently protect your tooth from reinfection or fracture. Please avoid eating anything chewy, sticky, hard or crunchy on this side of your mouth. Your temporary restoration may be rougher than your natural tooth and may have a slight indentation.
Guidelines for Post-Treatment Care
- Avoid biting your cheek or tongue if you choose to eat prior to the numbness wearing off
- Reduce chewing or biting on the treated tooth until you have had it restored by your dentist
- Be sure to brush and floss your teeth as you normally would unless instructed by the dentist otherwise
It is normal to feel some tenderness in the area for a few days after your root canal therapy as your body undergoes the natural healing process. As a general rule, if you had discomfort prior to treatment then you should expect some discomfort after treatment. You may also feel some tenderness in your jaw from keeping it open for an extended period of time. These symptoms will decrease over time; it may take as much as a week or more. They usually respond very well to over-the-counter pain medications such as Tylenol and Ibuprofen.
Contact our office if you develop:
- Visible swelling inside or outside of your mouth
- Allergic reaction to medication, including rash or hives
- Severe pain lasting more than three days
- Contact the clinic if you need to reschedule/cancel your next appointment
Taking Care of Your Tooth
The root canal treatment is only partially completed after today’s visit. Chewing on the treated side of your mouth, with only a temporary filling, may result in tooth fracture. Please return to your endodontist on your scheduled date to complete the root canal therapy. Do not return to your general dentist for the final restoration until the root canal therapy is completed.
If you need to rescheduled your appointment to continue with the root canal process, please contact our office:
Frederick office: (301) 663-0052
Hagerstownoffice: (301) 733-6077